I’ve been helping a young man prepare of an exam. He wants to enter high school in the U.S. But as a foreigner, he will need to take either the SSAT or the ISEE, depending on the school he chooses.
One of the things we do is learn a set of at least 10 words each week. He uses flash cards, writes the words over and over, and uses them in sentences in order to learn and remember the definitions.
And then I QUIZ him!
Here’s a list of some of the words he studied recently. Can you fill in the blanks below with the correct word?
Atone Don Subsidy Compel Barbed Splintered Obscure Dispute
- The wooden board broke and ________________ into pieces.
- In the olden days, women would __________________ a beautiful hat at Easter.
- He felt badly over what he had done. It was time for him to __________________ for his sins.
- He and his friend were caught up in a(n) ___________________ over which movie to see.
- He was so tired. But he knew his mother would have a good reason that would _________________ him to go.
- The junk yard had a(n) __________________ wire at the top of the fence. No one could climb over it.
- He didn’t have enough money for the school. Luckily, the government gave him a(n) _____________________. Another usage: The smaller company was purchased by the larger company. It now operates as a(n) _________________ of the larger one.
- He didn’t know anything about his ancestors. His heritage was quite ____________________.